Thursday, April 14, 2011

Question Everything

Today life is about questions.

Questions are how we find out about everything and the world around us. Remember in grade school, they told you there was no such thing as a stupid question? They were (mostly) right, but I think there are good and also better questions. I have the bad habit of asking simple yes-or-no questions, and I would really like to get into the habit of asking deeper questions. For example...um...I asked if we had more oatmeal at work yesterday, and all I got was "yes". I didn't know where the oatmeal was, or how much was left. I should have asked "where is the oatmeal?" Of course, I figured it out in the end, but still. That's just an example.

Questions that can't be answered with a simple yes or no are good because they make you, the asker, look more confident and intelligent and they invite more information. Open questions invite the other person to open themselves up more with a longer explanation and share more about what they know. If you don't know what to say or do in a situation, ask a question. You should never be afraid to ask a question. Questions are the basis of communication, which in turn is the basis of all relationships.

Ask questions of yourself as well. Ask questions about your life, what you want, who you are, why you do what you do, what your goals are, etc. I have a simple motto - question everything. Sometimes you can be surprised by what you find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment