Monday, April 18, 2011

Honesty

Today life is about honesty. Think how much easier (well, maybe not "easier" perse) life would be if everyone was 100% honest 100% of the time with 100% of the people they knew.

My parents showed me the pilot episode for a show about a psychologist. This psychologist had an employee who was involved in this radical honesty movement - he said exactly what he was thinking when he was thinking it. He was kind of weird, but in an unexpected way, and I can only imagine how liberating it must be to not have to lie. Lucy Ricardo once took a bet to tell the absolute truth for 24 hours in an I Love Lucy episode. She also claimed to feel very liberated. In Star Trek, Spock often says that he cannot tell a lie, and Kirk convinces him that he can stretch the truth, acting as if lying was a wonderful quality of humans.

Psychology Today posted an article about people who tell the truth all the time.

So my question is, is telling the absolute truth all the time a good thing? I, admittedly a rather insensative individual, tend to think that it is. I don't particularly care about offending people. I mean, many people are offended just by the type of person I am. There are people out there who get offended by gays or by people who get offended by gays. No matter who you are, someone will be offended by who you are. So it makes sense that you shouldn't have to lie to try to protect other people. Here's my problem though: what about tactful truth-telling? Should it be okay? To a certain extent, I think it is, but I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment