Sunday, July 4, 2010

Calvin and Hobbes - Philosophers

While my dad was cleaning his office, he found an old Calvin and Hobbes comic book that had come from the library. The due date was July 2007. Since I'd already paid for it several years ago, I decided to keep it. I mean, I could have returned it and tried to get credit back on my account, but the library only gives you credit if the book is worth a certain account. Anyway, why take it back when I could keep it and have my very own Calvin and Hobbes book?


I love Calvin and Hobbes. The drawing is fantastic, the facial expression are hilarious, and the subtle social commentary is funny in a depressingly accurate sort of way. Calvin is like a six-year-old genius, who struggles to understand the world. He's alternately planning mischief in the spirit of malevolence and feeling lost at the paradoxes in adult society. And he's always accompanied by his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who seems to be very smart and at peace with the world. He doesn't wrestle with the contradictions, he just accepts them.


It's amazing how childhood can be used to reflect the absurdities of adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment