Sunday, June 20, 2010

No Rites of Passage?

The main topic in my english class this summer is Rites of Passage, ceremonies meant to mark one's passage from one stage of life to the next. The author of one of our textbooks, bemoaned the state of youth today because they have no rites of passage. After I read that, I sat there wondering if that's what my problem - I have no connection to past and future generations. Now that I've thought about it, I think that's not my problem. My problem is myself, but that's a whole other issue.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I think the reason I feel more connected to my dad (beside psychological similarities) is because he has passed on more of his legacy to me; it's his fault thanks to him that I'm a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, and other various kinds of nerdy science fiction. My mother has nothing to pass on to me. I inhereited little of her artistic talent, and she has hardly any connections with the rest of her family, so she can't pass on anything from them.

If I am ever a parent, maybe I'll start a tradition to act as a rite of passage; when my children turn eigh , they can get a tattoo to represent themselves. A small tattoo. In a place where it can be hidden. And nothing inappropriate (aaaah, I sound like a parent already). Archaic tribes had rituals of scarification; wouldn't a tattoo at eigh be similar? Or perhaps I could similar drop my children off in the middle of a very large forest and tell them to find their spirit guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment