Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness

Sesquipedalian loquaciousness entices me.

Translation: I like big-wordy explanations. I'm kind of a word nerd, sometimes. Back when I entered the public for the first time (freshmen year...*shudder*), I had to learn to simplify what I said, otherwise people would look at me oddly and say, "Oooookay...uh-huh. Yeah, what?" Now I'm much better at communicating, but it took a while.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand: sesquipedalian loquaciousness. I have spontaneously decided to blog every once in a while about a new vocabulary word. Today, I have two words. Why? Because I discovered them together, here. "Sesquipedalian" and "Loquacious". From dictionary.com:

Sesquipedalian: [ses-kwi-pi-dey-lee-uhn, -deyl-yuhn]
–adjective
1. given to using long words.
2. (of a word) containing many syllables.
–noun
3. a sesquipedalian word
 
Loquacious: [loh-kwey-shuhs]
–adjective
1. talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering; babbling; garrulous: a loquacious dinner guest.
2. characterized by excessive talk; wordy: easily the most loquacious play of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment